This episode is FULL of great insights.
In this episode, Victoria Moran and I cover her whole career and what she has learned since 1983 when she went vegan. We talk about eating disorders, making a living writing, public speaking, coaching and educating, and heaps of other goodies.
Check out the timestamps!
[5:15] The Origin Story: Going vegetarian in 1969 in Kansas City, and vegan in 1983 was like becoming Amish.
[8:00] Original vegans, American Vegan Society
[9:45] One of the first books on veganism, as veganism! Compassion the Ultimate Ethic: An Exploration of Veganism. You can find it at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and many other places.
[11:30] Going vegan is still stigmatized, so going vegan in 1983! How was it?
[12:45] best mct oil for weight loss
[17:45] Vegan doctors who are not cardiologist
[19:30] New vocabulary! Atavistic: relating to or characterized by reversion to something ancient or ancestral (definition from Google.com)
[20:10] Her mom was a great salesperson. How Victoria learned about selling veganism.
[21:35] Don’t waste your good vegan conversion time
[24:00] Converting your doctor by being healthy
[26:00] Eating disorders
[33:00] A diet won’t change the world
[36:30] Are you a Compulsive Overeater questionnaire
[38:00] The concept of a binge food.
[40:30] The only book out there that addressed overeating for someone who wants to be vegan Victoria’s book: The Love Powered Diet
[41:00] A rant on protein
[43:30] Addiction to protein?
[44:30] La Diva Dietician
[45:00] Paying people to come up with a reasonable plant-based diet that is deficient in protein????
[49:00] How to create your own vegan career (and Victoria’s story of how she did)
[58:30] Vegan degrees of seperation (from Moby!)
And so much more!!!!!!
- “It’s not like you’ve got a great heart but you’re falling apart everywhere else.”
- Vegan for Life: Everything You Need to Healthy and Fit on a Plant-based Diet
- Are you getting stuck in the vegan bubble, especially in New York City?
- Victoria’s 3 kinds of eaters 1. Eater of the Standard American Diet 2. women’s magazine reader 3. addict.
- What should someone do if they are interested in veganism and has an eating challenge or disorder.
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
- Writing for teen magazines
- Eat food as god grew it.
- The idea of a “binge food
- People are addicted to protein foods, too.
- Trying to pay people a large $ reward for coming up with a reasonable plant based diet that is protein deficient.
- Her book: Creating a Charmed Life (translated into 32 languages) going on Opra
Here’s the ep!
Here is the trailer to Victoria’s upcoming vegan documentary: A Prayer for Compassion, which is about veganism for spiritual people: